Day 1: What have I gotten myself into. In all the preparation for the hike it was not enough. Let's face it I did little or no preparation. I asked a lot of questions and was told if you can walk around Disneyland you could do the hike. The plan, morning hike, stop for coffee afternoon hike stop for lunch, and the maybe an after lunch hike. None of the above was true. First of all there are no hills in Disneyland!
Okay I learn how to use trekking poles to help with the uphill and save me on the downhill. The trails we walk on are limestone and gravel about 4 - 5 feet wide. The plan is we will hike to waterfall and start by taking a gondala part way up. A lodge is pointed out where we will hike to for lunch. This is clearly a different picture then what I had planned. This is an introductory hike and quickly separates the hikers from the wimps, guess which I am.
We are luckily and have 2 guides so the fast group has some one to hike with. We trek along, in my group is Dan, Reba, Verl, and 78 years old Susie. Clearly the most fit are the Canadians mom and daughter and the Annie from Michigan and Bailey ( who really doesn't want to hike but can keep up), Rudy is a wild card, he is fit enough to hike but treks along at a slow pace. He is dying to climb some of the peaks, seems he is working to get to the top of the highest peak in each state. Clearly, NOT my goal.
Today's hike is long. Dan tracked 19000 or so steps and 14 flights of stairs; of course no stairs just increase in elevation. The groups have been declared by lunch and I remain the tortoise. I will finish but definitely last. This hiking makes my training hills look flat. The afternoon is a little better some flat and down hill and the slow group gets to take the gondola down versus hiking down. I guess there are benefits.
On a side note, the mountains are beautiful, air is clear and it is not too hot. Dinner is at a pizzeria next to the hotel. We are exhausted from the day and it is only day 1. I wonder what is in store for day 2.
No comments:
Post a Comment