Today we are off to find the castle above Varenna. The directions are on Via per Venzio next to a hotel. We are off, fellow Americans in the hotel state it is at least a 30 min walk although tour book states 20minutes. We walk and walk eventually end up in the middle of town, we didn't know Varenna went up the hill. The good news in town we run into the American couple that did the hike the day before. Apparently there are 2 routes a longer easier route and shorter steeper route. We are near the top of the shorter route but knowing how much training for the big hike we have done we opt to back track and take the easy route. New found friends guide us to the start, turns out right outside our hotel. Again, missed directions.
We are off, I am tempted several times to call it quits but persist, tour book 20 minutes, co travelers 30 minutes Ellen and Dan 40 minutes. I believe in breaks and my calves agree! Good news is it only took us 20 minutes to get down.
This afternoon rain is forecast, and we have our tour of the lake and the Balbinello Castle. As my children were quick to advice me it is of Star Wars episode 2 fame and James Bond in Casino Royale. I am not sure if I have seen either one. I was worried about the rain before we left and the tour guide this morning is optimistic it will hold off until 6PM. Optimistic is the key, it started to rain as we boarded the boat. I must say a high speed boat is a fun. The boat had a cover so we were able to keep dry. Unfortunately, our time on this private spit of land with marvelous gardens included a mandatory tour of the house. We had 30 minutes to explore the gardens with the heavens opening up. Oh well in every life a little rain must fall. We are back in Vareena in time for happy hour in a little bistro with the best $3.00 euro merlot. Life isn't all bad. Tomorrow we head to Cinque Terre.
No comments:
Post a Comment